This week’s subscription includes locally grown spray free spinach, a welcomed sign of spring, tastes great in salads, soups on sandwiches, quiche, omelettes, you name it. This vegetable is so delicious and versatile, we can’t stop eating it!
Small Subscription includes:
Yukon Gem Potatoes – Grown spray free at Elmridge Farm in Centreville, NS
Spinach – Grown spray free by Bob Ansem in Greenwich, NS
Cortland Apples – Grown conventionally by Noggins Corner Farm in Greenwich, NS
Beets – Grown spray free at Elmridge Farm in Centreville, NS
English Cucumber – Greenhouse Grown by den Haan Greenhouses in Lawrencetown, NS
Tomatoes – Greenhouse Grown by den Haan Greenhouses in Lawrencetown, NS
Herbs – Riverview Herbs, Maitland, NS
Large Subscription includes everything listed above, plus the following:
Super Sweet Carrots – Grown spray free at Elmridge Farm in Centreville, NS
Frozen Butternut Squash – Grown Conventionally by Elmridge Farm in Centreville, NS
Meal Plan: March 24 to March 30
|Sunday||BLT sandwiches made with spinach, tomatoes and Snowy River bacon|
|Monday||Mediterranean Spinach and Chickpea soup|
|Tuesday||Pork Chops with roasted butternut squash and beets|
|Wednesday||Leftover soup with grilled cheese sandwiches|
|Thursday||Pan fried haddock with Cucumber & Dill Salad|
|Saturday||Whole Roast Chicken with leftover veggies from the week|
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 yellow onion diced
- 3-4 cloves garlic minced
- 6 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 x 15 ounce canned diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 tsp each: thyme, rosemary, oregano, parsley, basil
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 (15 ounce) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed or 1 cup dried chickpeas prepared according to the instructions on the package
- ⅓lb fresh spinach
- ¾ cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese (for serving)
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add onion and garlic; cook until onions are translucent and garlic is fragrant (about 2-3 minutes). Add in the stock, tomatoes, honey, herbs, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the chickpeas and spinach. Continue to simmer gently until the spinach has wilted, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Serve immediately, sprinkling 2 tbsp of parmesan cheese on each bowl