It’s the last week of February and Spring is just around the corner! In the meantime we’ve got lots of root veggies to make all of that winter comfort food we all crave this time of year.
This week’s subscription includes the following:
Small Subscription includes:
English Cucumber – Greenhouse Grown by den Haan Greenhouses in Lawrencetown, NS
Super Sweet Carrots – Grown spray free at Elmridge Farm in Centreville, NS
Yukon Gem Potatoes – Grown spray free at Elmridge Farm in Centreville, NS
Pea-Shoots – Grown spray free by Snowy River Farm in Cooks Brook, NS
Cortland Apples – Grown conventionally by Noggins Corner Farm in Greenwich, NS
Cabbage – Grown Conventionally by Noggins Corner Farm in Greenwich, NS
Rutabaga – Certified Organic grown by Taproot Farm in Port Williams, NS
Large Subscription includes everything listed above plus the following:
Celeriac – Grown spray free at Elmridge Farm in Centreville, NS
Jacob’s Cattle Beans – Grown by Webster Farms in Cambridge, NS
- ½ cup white sugar (or less if you like your crisp less sweet)
- 3 tablespoons Speerville Mills’ Whole White Flour
- 6 cups cortland apples
- 1 cups Speerville Mills’ Whole White Flour
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- ⅔ cup cold butter (cubed)
- 1 cup Speerville Mills Newfound Oatmeal (or other rolled oats)
- Preheat oven to 375 F (190 C).
- In a large bowl, mix sugar, cinnamon, 3 tablespoons flour and apples. Place the mixture in a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Using a pastry blender, combine 1 cup flour, brown sugar, butter, and oats until crumbly.
- Crumble on top of the apple mixture.
- Bake 45 minutes in the preheated oven, or until crisp and lightly browned.
- Allow to cool five minutes before serving.
Meal Plan – February 24th to March 2nd
|Sunday||Homemade baked beans with Apple Crisp for dessert|
|Monday||Leftover baked beans with peashoot, carrot and apple salad|
|Tuesday||Pork Chops with celeriac and potato mash|
|Wednesday||Whole chicken with roasted carrots, potatoes & turnip|
|Thursday||Leftover chicken sandwiches with cucumbers and peashoots|
|Saturday||Sausages with sauteed cabbage and roasted veggies left from the week|